Wednesday, February 1, 2023

 

2023 ROARS INTO BEING AND AS WE DISENTANGLE OURSEVES FROM COVID, AND SURVEY THE DAMAGE DONE ,  AND THE TIME LOST, IT IS A GOOD TIME TO DO ART.

 

Dusty’s Blog Musings

By DUSTAN KNIGHT TARBELL

My studio is humming and lots of paintings are out - spreading their joy – not necessarily in commercial galleries but in alternative more personal spaces – libraries, hospitals, cafes and hotel lobbies.


I have been thinking about this audience – regular folks – not necessarily interested in the art scene, appreciating nostalgic happy images and colors that elicit soothing or joyful emotions.

Recently many art galleries and museums have been exhibiting artwork concerned with political/social issues. These are not intended to sooth but to disturb and reflect the moral corruption of the common consciousness and the establishment especially the narrow slice of society that usually buys art.

This role of Art as a ‘moral conscience’ is not new.

The distinction between the art scene (ie buying society) and the population (not concerned with the art scene) has been troubling forever.


I guess an artist just has to figure out what interests them the most.

We spend a lot of time immersed in the creative vocation, and maybe the choices of intention are part of the great things about the art scene.

I don’t think an artist has to be just one concern either like everyone, our ideas and fascinations are always evolving. Maybe something crosses our attention and the moral corruption of hopelessness strikes us and we respond in the studio. -  Think of Picasso’s usual biographical iconography exploding into Guernica. –


I think that for me, I have reacted in developing an almost meditative practice, doing everyday pretty inconsequential activities with a much presence and gratitude as I can manage. I am not a brave, social leader, just a working artist, and the way the low light hits the tops of the winter treeline, turning them into shimmery pinks and gold outlines, transfixes me and inspires my art.

Maybe it is that awareness and presence in my paintings that attracts the regular folks. I know I feel better when the paintings are being made and also when they are finished and leave the studio.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment