Monday, May 1, 2023

LUSCIOUS COLD WAX!

By Ann Saunderson 


I frequently work with cold wax on wood panels. 


Cold wax is a 'medium' much like acrylic gel medium ... but different.


Cold wax is luscious, it's sensuous, like butter.


Built up in layers it creates a wonderful textured surface that offers lots of opportunities for 'art play'.



I usually begin by having what is called a 'slop board' beside my palette. 




At the end of the day, I scoop up any leftover cold wax mixed 50% with oil paint and slap it down on the board. I don't plan. I don't compose. I just spread it on

the board.

The wax not only thickens the paint is also reduces the drying time.

Each succeeding layer dries faster! 


At some point, maybe several layers in, I begin to see something, a shape, a texture, some colors that I find intriguing, and I slow down and start playing around with what the piece might become.

You can build up layers, but you can also scrape back to lower layers,


or while the mixture is still gooey, you can press in some textures, such as with bubble wrap, or


screening or even the sole of your shoe!




I usually have 5 or 6 pieces going at one time. They are all in different stages


so I can add layers to some and be carving into others.



I don't use brushes.


The paint is too thick.



So I use palette knives, silicone bread dough scrapers, putty knives, whatever is handy.




Clay carving tools and matt knives work to carve into the surface for the 'archeological dig' part of the process.



At some point it begins to come together. Like magic something appears!



Working abstractly with cold wax is glorious!





Working realistically with cold wax is ... frustrating.

View more of my work on Instagram at: ann.saunderson

or on my website at: annsaundersonart.com




No comments:

Post a Comment